Mission Statement

The purpose of the Spencer County Public Library is to obtain, organize, and make available to all the people of the community books, periodicals and other media for their use in the pursuit of education, information, and entertainment.  Along with the added use of technology, our library strives to provide equitable access of current electronic services to the community.

Spencer County Public Library maintains four locations – Main Library – Rockport, Grandview Branch – Grandview, Parker Branch – Hatfield, and Marylee Vogel Branch – Richland.

Library History

1915 – Rockport levied a library tax and a library board was appointed.

1916 – The Rockport Public Library opened a reading room in the rear of the Farmers’ Bank on      February 16 with 1,000 volumes on the shelves.

1917 – The Ohio Township Advisory Board levied a tax for the support of the library.  The Library Board accepted a Carnegie gift of $17,000 to the town and Ohio Township and purchased a lot.

1918 – Clifford Shopbell drew plans for the new Rockport Carnegie Public Library.  The Contract for the building was left to John F. Pyle.

1919 – The library was completed in September

1921 – The lot next to the library was purchased and made part of the library grounds.

1963 – Rockport and Grandview agreed to cooperate with Tell City in sponsoring bookmobile service to Spencer and Perry counties.

1969 – Rockport Public Library officially merged with Ohio Township forming the Rockport-Ohio Township Public Library.

1985 – A room in the basement of the library was remodeled and made into a genealogical room for the Historical Society.

1987 – Rockport-Ohio Township Public Library merged with Grandview-Hammond Township Public Library forming the Spencer County Public Library.

1989 – The Carnegie buildings at Grandview and Rockport were remodeled.  Luce Township merged with Rockport and Grandview.  The name, Spencer County Public Library, remained the same.

1990 – Grand opening of Grandview Library was held in April.  A Book Stop opened in Richland in May and one in Hatfield in June.  Grand opening of newly remodeled main branch of Spencer County Public Library in Rockport was held October 20 with 30,000 volumes on the shelves, including videos and audios.  Computers were made available for public use.

1991 – The library became automated.

1997 – The library purchased a building in Richland doubling the size of the Richland Book Stop, renaming it the Marylee Vogel Branch.  Internet access became available at all four branches.  A total of 70,000 volumes have been processed for public use at all four branches.

1998 – Imogene Arnold donated 5.1590 acres of land in Hatfield to the Spencer County Public Library.

1999 – A new computer program was installed, enabling the catalog of the main branch to be viewed on the Internet.

2001 – A new branch was built in Hatfield on the donated land from Imogene Arnold.  All branches received new Internet computers, purchased with a grant from the Bill and Malinda Gates Foundation.

2002 – Grand opening of the Parker Branch in Hatfield was held April 27.

2005 – Extensive remodeling was done to the Marylee Vogel Branch in Richland.

2006 – High speed Internet became available at all four branches.

2009 – Spencer County Public Library earned a 5-star rating in the Library Journal Index of Public Library Service and won the Spencer County Arts Award from the Arts Council of Southwestern Indiana.

2010 – Spencer County Public Library joined the Evergreen Indiana consortium allowing all four branches to have computerized circulation of materials, to view catalogs of other member libraries and to borrow materials from them using their Evergreen Indiana library card.  Again, the library earned a 5-star rating in the Library Journal Index of Public Library Service.

2011 – Spencer County Public Library earned a 5-star rating in the Library Journal Index of Public Library Service.

2012 – Spencer County Public Library joined the OverDrive network, allowing our patrons access to eBooks.  Once again, the library earned a 5-star rating in the Library Journal Index of Public Library Service.